Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes with Lemon and Strawberry Buttercream


On a sunny, summer tuesday I didn't have work until 5pm and no plans all day, which is a pretty rare thing.  I had just bought a flat of strawberries (8 pints!) for $5 the past weekend and really wanted to try to make a good strawberry cupcake.  Unfortunately the cupcakes did not not use up nearly as much strawberries as I had wanted (maybe only a pint).  This is good, as a pint of strawberries lasted for double the cupcake recipe listed below and the strawberry buttercream recipe.  I made mini cupcakes so I could distribute them to more people (I brought some to work for all my coworkers, gave some to my mom to share at work, sent Jordan with a lot for his coworkers the next morning, and only saved 8 for us).  I love to bake and share my baked goods, but I don't like to have a bunch at home.  I love having excuses to bake and love bringing baked goods to work for others to enjoy.

Results were very good.  I was very happy with them (which can be rare).  Only thing was I think that the cupcakes might have needed just a pinch more of baking (at most a minute) and the cupcake itself needed a bit more of a strawberry taste.  Also the cupcakes themselves needed a bit more frosting but that was my fault as I only had 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and was too lazy to go to the store...

Defiantly going to make again soon!


Strawberry Cupcakes (Sprinkle's Recipe) :

INGREDIENTS

  • 2/3 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature -- I used 1% because that is what I had and it turned out fine, but I do not doubt that it would taste better with the whole milk :)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract -- For next time I want to add a little of strawberry extract to give the cupcake more of a strawberry taste.
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg, room temperature 
  • 2 large egg whites, room temperature

    DIRECTIONS

    1. STEP 1

      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
    2. STEP 2

      Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
    3. STEP 3

      In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
    4. STEP 4

      In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
    5. STEP 5

      With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
    6. STEP 6

      Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing. (I made mini cupcakes and they took about 12 minutes total, 6 minutes then rotated and then another 6 minutes.  For next time I think it would make them more perfect -- for my oven at least -- I would leave them in for 13 minutes total...)

Strawberry Buttercream (Sprinkle's Recipe) :

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed  -- I used fresh :)
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
  • Pinch of coarse salt
  • 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I wanted to give my frosting more of a strawberry taste so I used a little vanilla and a little strawberry extract.  Don't worry about it if you don't have it, but I liked the extra flavor that it gave my frosting.  Without it the frosting will still have the taste of strawberries but will be a pretty subtle taste.) 

    DIRECTIONS

    1. STEP 1

      1. Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed. 
      2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. 
      3. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat until well combined. 
      4. Add vanilla (and strawberry extract)  and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (I added a bit more to my recipe and it turned out fine) (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not overmix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream. (Not so sure about how much to beat or not beat this frosting...I will experiment with that later, but I beat it for only a couple of minutes and it turned out well)
Lemon Buttercream (Sprinkle's Recipe) :

Yields: For about 12 cupcakes 

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 lemon, juice and zest of (don't be afraid to add a lot, start with a little and then add more until you reach the taste you are going for.  Jordan likes a strong lemon flavor and so do I, so I add a fair amount)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Combine butter, sugar and salt and beat till well combined. (First cream the butter, then add the sugar and salt and cream well until light and fluffy)

2. Add lemon juice,zest and vanilla and continue to beat for another 3 to 5 minute or until creamy.



No comments:

Post a Comment