Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gallo Pinto


This is Jordan and my classic staple food that we both enjoy when we just want some comfort food (that also contains the protein to fill us up, rather than just a bowl of pasta).  I think I especially like this because with my stomach sensitivity, this is one thing I can eat that doesn't make me feel nauseous.  I make mine with dried beans and always soak them overnight or more.  I do this because one: it gets rid of most of the gases that will make us gassy after eating them, and two: I can control how I cook the beans, as I like them a little crunchy-er and three: you can add some more seasoning.  Most of the time I cook the rice in a rice cooker because I am too lazy but I will provide also a way to cook the rice on the stove with a little more flavor.  Always put the rice in the fridge for at least a day before cooking.  This is also a perfect way to use any extra rice that you have lying around in your fridge.  

I personally love a little bowl of this (about 1/2-3/4 cup) in the morning with a scrambled egg mixed in. I have a huge appetite in the morning and need something that will fill me up.  This is perfect because it isn't a huge amount of food, it is easy because I have pre-portioned amounts in my fridge to just stick in the microwave in the morning, it fills me up and is delicious!

  RECIPE:

Beans:
10 - 16 oz of black beans depending on how much you want
7 cloves of garlic
Garlic salt (1-3 tsp)

1. Put black beans (or other if you want) in a bowl and fill with cold water (at least three inches above the beans, as they will expand).  Let sit and soak for at least 4 hours (I always soak overnight).

2. After they are soaked drain and rinse then put in a pot with cold water that covers the beans and bring to a boil over high heat and then simmer for 30 minutes.

3. Pull off the heat, cover and let sit for one hour.

4. Bring back to a boil over high heat, add some garlic salt (or regular) and how ever many peeled garlic cloves you want.  I peel and cut mine in half and throw them in. Simmer for 30-60 minutes depending how you like your beans cooked.
Rice:
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups of white rice
3 cups water or chicken broth

1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in pan over medium heat until shimmering.  Add 1/2 cup of onion and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent.

2.  Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the grains are shiny and evenly coated with oil (2-3 minutes).  Add water or broth (I use a mixture of both) and about 2 tsp of salt and bring to a boil over high heat.  

3. Boil rice without stirring until most of the liquid has evaporated and you can see small bubbles bursting to the surface of the rice.  Immediately reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover, and cook (don't stir or remove lid) for 15 minutes.  Put in a container and refrigerate overnight.

Gallo Pinto:
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large pan over medium high heat until shimmering and add the extra half cup of onion and cook until softened and translucent (about 5 minutes).

2.  Add the rice and beans and cook until the rice is evenly coated.  Continue to cook, stirring, to allow flavors to meld for about 10 minutes.  Cover and cook over low for 10 more minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment