Friday, August 1, 2014

Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes

**Sorry for the bad photo, need to take a new one next time I make the pancakes!**

If you know me, then you know that I am all about breakfast.  You simply can't beat breakfast foods. Usually I am more of an eggs and fruit type of person, but who can resist having a dessert hidden as a breakfast food? After recently just picking an abundance of blueberries I had to make blueberry pancakes the next morning (really, there was no option).  I remember as a kid my dad would always make blueberry pancakes the next morning.  

I am usually a thin pancake type of person, but this morning I was craving a super fluffy pancake. Until recently, I thought that the only way to make pancakes was from a box.  However in the past couple months, I have been trying different recipes. I hadn't found a recipe that I loved until now. After searching for a bit on different blogs, I settled on this recipe and I am very glad that I did.  These pancakes had the perfect amount of fluff (for me) and worked really well with the blueberries.  This obviously is not a healthy breakfast, but is a great treat every now and then.  

This recipe makes about 3-4 servings of pancakes, and I'm sure a hungry couple could devour this whole amount.  I have not tried doubling or tripling the recipe but the blogger ensured that this recipe does well.  While I always think that pancakes taste the best right off the griddle, we preheated the oven on the lowest temperature and kept them in the oven until we were ready to eat.

Another great thing about this recipe? I froze the extras that we had and they are still great reheated.  I stuck the frozen pancake in our toaster oven and it reheated fantastically!! Next time I will probably make a double batch and that way I can have frozen pancakes for snacks or a quick breakfast on the go.

Lastly, this recipe does not have to just be for blueberry pancakes. Nix the blueberries and just have plain pancakes, or add chocolate chips, bananas or whatever your heart desires.  However, unlike the blueberries you do not need to coat other add-ins with the flour. Instead, just add the chocolate chips or whatever else in when adding the wet ingredients.

ENJOY!!

Ingredients 

-1 cup buttermilk (room temperature!!)
 I never buy buttermilk because I never plan that ahead plus I usually never find a use for a whole carton of buttermilk.  It also very easy to make your own buttermilk. Simply pour out a cup of milk and then put a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. It will get nice a chunky for you in no time ;)
-1 cup (125g) all purpose flour, sifted
-2 (18g) tbsp powdered sugar
-1 tsp (4g) baking powder
-½ tsp (3g)baking soda
-½ tsp (3g) salt
-1 egg (room temperature!!)
-2 tbsp butter, melted (optional)
-1 tsp (5g) vanilla optional: cinnamon, nutmeg
-About 1 cup of blueberries (however many you want!)

Instructions 

1. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Sift twice. (see notes) 
Sifting twice is important to make sure that everything is mixed together well and it helps aerate the flour to make sure that you get a fluffy pancake.

2. Add the blueberries to the flour mixture and make sure the blueberries are coated.

3. Whisk the egg and melted butter into buttermilk. Add in vanilla. 

4. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, but do not overmix. Some lumps are fine. 
  Again, do NOT overmix. It's okay for it to have lumps, trust me!!

---IF YOU HAVE TIME then let the batter sit for about a half hour. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and I think that it made a difference.  Just try and plan ahead!  Don't mix after you let the batter sit, just pour straight to the griddle.

5. Heat a skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Or heat your griddle. Pour about ¼ cupsful of batter onto the skiller and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook till browned on the other side.
 Cook on medium heat, and make sure that your pan/griddle is hot before you put on the first pancakes.  Mess around with the temperature a little until you find the right temperature to get amount of brown you want on your pancakes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment